Building Permits, Licensing & Inspections
The City of Vadnais Heights has adopted the Minnesota State Building Code, which sets minimum standards for all commercial and residential construction in the city to ensure the safety and performance for all structures. Construction projects are inspected to help make sure that these minimum standards are being met. Most projects will require a permit from us before starting construction, and a contractor license is required, if you are not already licensed by the State of Minnesota.
What's New? Online Applications!
We are excited to announce that you can currently apply for certain permits (mechanical, plumbing, fire protection, sign, zoning) and contractor licenses online. You will be able to apply for permits, upload documents, pay by credit card, schedule inspections, message us with questions, and check back to see the permit issuance status all from the comfort of your home, office, or out in the field using an online account. Please note that we will be adding more permits and licenses once they are ready to be released. We encourage you to explore the new application site via the link below where you will find handouts, fee schedules, and other helpful information, along with a link to apply for your permit or license:
Inspection requests for permits that we are currently offering online can be done via your online account after you have applied and paid for your permit. Inspections for building permits will continue to be scheduled by calling 651-204-6015, until they are offered online.
Schedule electrical inspections at www.tokleinspections.com or by calling Peter Tokle at 763-754-2983 (Monday-Friday, from 7:00-8:30 AM).
Applications by Mail or Email Only
The below permits must still be applied for via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, mail or drop off to City Hall until they have been transferred to our new online system. An after-hours drop box is located in the entrance driveway off County Road E (silver mailbox next to the blue USPS box). Please note, check or cash payment must be mailed to City Hall prior to approval of your permit.
- Accessory Structure Information Sheet (PDF)
- Basement Finish Information Sheet (PDF)
- Building Permit Information Sheet - Commercial (PDF)
- Building Permit Information Sheet - Residential (PDF)
- Deck Information Sheet (PDF)
- Demolition Information Sheet (PDF)
- Egress Window Handout (PDF)
- Electrical Inspection Checklist for Dwellings (PDF)
- Electrical Permit - Fee Calculator (PDF)
- Electrical Permit Fees - Solar
- Fence Information Sheet (PDF)
- Manufactured Home - Notice to Owners Completing Installation Work (PDF)
- Manufactured Home - Seller Checklist (PDF)
- Roofing Information Sheet (PDF)
- Swimming Pool Information Sheet (PDF)
- Tracer Wire Specifications (PDF)